Deforestation is when trees are chopped down to clear a forest so the land can be used for other purposes. It is one of the major factors contributing to the greenhouse effect and desertification. Nowadays, deforestation is the 2nd biggest contributor to climate change.
10 Breathtaking facts about deforestation
- According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), an estimated 7.3 million hectares of forest are lost each year.
- The rate of deforestation equals to loss of 20 football fields every minute.
- Agriculture is the leading cause.
- Up to 28,000 species can go extinct in the next quarter century due to deforestation.
- Loss of Tropical Rainforests contributes between 12 percent and 17 percent of annual global greenhouse gas emissions.
- If the current rate continues, it will take less than 100 years to destroy all the rainforests on the earth.
- 13 million hectare per year in South America and Africa and South East Asia is converted from a forest to an agriculture land.
- The over exploitation of forests is making it extremely difficult to replant a new ecology.
- Deforestation affects water cycle. Trees absorb groundwater and release the same into the atmosphere during transpiration. When deforestation happens, the climate automatically changes to a drier one and also affects the water table.
Forests play a critical role in mitigating climate change because they act as a carbon sink—soaking up carbon dioxide that would otherwise be free in the atmosphere and contribute to ongoing changes in climate patterns. If greenhouse gases are in large enough quantity, they can force climate change, according to WWF Global.
Let’s help save our forests
We can work together to save our forests. Appliin invites you to be active and plant trees, join any organization keen on stopping deforestation, support eco-friendly companies, reduce, reuse and recycle paper and plastic bags to discourage deforestation. Finally, be the change and help us to eliminate the disturbing statistics on deforestation.
Digital Content Analyst